Emergent was founded to integrate GN&C algorithms, sensors and systems with modern software and information technology for support autonomous, multi-spacecraft space missions. With over 60% of our employees having an MS or PhD in engineering or science, Emergent is well positioned to perform Research and Development in this domain for our civil, military and commercial space customers.
Much of Emergent's R&D activity is funded through the federal Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)/Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) program, a highly competitive program that encourages U.S. Small Businesses and Universities to perform R&D that meets federal needs and requirements and has the potential for commercialization. Since 2006, Emergent has won 28 Phase 1 awards, successfully transitioning 9 of them to Phase 2, and 1 to Phase 3.
Our active Phase 1 contracts include:
• Distributed Automation Suite for Heuristic Execution and Response (DASHER): a flight software agent based on NASA’s core Flight System (cFS) for intelligent, onboard execution of multi-spacecraft spacecraft and science instrument plans.
Our active Phase 2 contracts include:
• World Class Visualizations in GMAT – implementation of the OpenFrames visualization tool in NASA’s General Mission Analysis Toolkit (GMT) to modularize and modernize its visualization infrastructure, thereby increasing its simulation performance and improving its cross-platform user interface.
• F6-CAPSat: A Picosat for System F6 Adjunct – a flight software application designed to enable adjunct spacecraft to interface with a System F6-type spacecraft cluster and off-load some portion of its computational needs onto the cluster. Under a Phase II Option, we are reconfiguring the software to work for teams of micro-UAVs.
• Holistic Resident Space Object (RSO) Space Situational Awareness Algorithms - algorithms and software based on the Hierarchical Mixture of Experts (HME) approach to parameter estimation to improve the Air Force’s capability characterize RSOs.
Our active Phase 3 contracts include:
• Enhanced Warfighter Tasking with a GMSEC-JMS Message Bridge Service (MBS) - a software bridge for connecting spacecraft and payload operations centers whose ground systems are based on the GMSEC and SOA system architectures.